Wednesday, May 29, 2013


One from the archives.... I've had a few more cups of tea since this was written, but the experience hasn't changed...

  TEA IS NOT A DRINK~ IT’S AN EXPERIENCE
“The Tea Maker~ Steeped in His Word. Infused with His Love. Sweetened by His Spirit. Stirred from above.”


What an incredible gift. I was reading recently in Emilie Barnes’ book, If Teacups Could Talk, about a time she and her granddaughter had tea. Emilie thought about the fact that when her granddaughter had asked her for a tea party, what she was really asking for was time with her. Asking for tea was her way of saying, “I need to talk to you.”
I began to learn this lesson when I lived in England. Partly as a way to stay warm and mostly as a way to experience the culture, I embarked on my quest for a knowledge and appreciation of one of the finer things in life~ a good cup of tea.  My first taste of real tea was at a PWOC Tea in a “lovely” garden on the High Street in St. Ives. The tea was good, the scones and finger sandwiches a real treat, and the gardens so Britishly overgrown and beautiful. I fell in love.  I enjoyed tea with my dear British friend, Carol Thorndike. Lindsey and I shared many cups of tea whilst we solved the neighborhood problems in our little village of Brampton.
 The true meaning of tea became more evident during these times and I now more fully understand my neighbor in S. Carolina, who many years ago invited me to coffee at her house. As excited as I was to visit with her and get to know her, I was anxious as I did not drink coffee! I worried the whole week and on Friday morning sheepishly walked over to her house. She had a lovely, simple spread on a backyard table and guess what? She served lemonade! Her invitation was not for coffee; it was for my company.
A while back, I went to Norway to visit my wonderful friend and C.D., Kim. We rented a hytte (cabin) and literally sat by the fire and drank tea for almost the entire 24 hours we were there. We laughed, we cried, we processed and in the end, we were all the better and ready to attack life once again.
 In Tucson, Cynthia and I shared MANY cups of tea together. In other words, I needed to talk to her almost every week! We shared tea at Starbucks, TJ’s, along with my other dear friend Trish at the lovely Arizona Inn, and one time at a special tea ceremony at a quaint little tea shop called Seven Sisters.  We drank tea at my house and at hers. Her patio became a refuge for me; her company and words of wisdom became my vision of Hope. No doubt, the days we shared at her house were the most memorable. I remember like yesterday sitting at her bar watching her boil the water and set two tea cups on the tray. While watching her tend to the process was special in itself, the end result of just the two of us sipping tea and sharing was incredibly healing and so very special. Again, when I was in Ohio, Ronda and I frequented Starbucks in an attempt to share what God was doing and where He was leading each of us. Amazing to be able to share with these friends the gift of time and friendship.
My husband was deployed last year and I was one tired woman.  Tracy was my partner in ministry and even though we were both exhausted, she and I couldn’t wait for Wed. evenings when we would drop our girls off at AWANA and  sneak to Forza to share tea with each other. (Don’t tell Kendra that’s where we wereJ) We needed a refuge and we needed each other. Reminds me of the quote that says, “There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.”

I often imagine Mary and Elizabeth sharing tea together waiting for their baby boys to be born. Dreaming out loud together, yet never fully grasping how God would use their little boys in such big and mighty ways.
I got a FB message the other day that went like this…
Kathy writes “I bought two new teas today. Wondering if I have a neighbor who would like to share a cup with me this week.” I replied, “I’m a neighbor and would love to share a cup of tea with you. Wed at 11?”
I wasn’t fooled.  The “new tea” was just a ploy for the two of us to get together and catch up. She really wanted my company… and I wanted hers.

“Teapot is on, the cups are waiting, favourite chairs anticipating. No matter what I have to do. My friend, there’s always time for you.”

Dear Lord,  I never want to be too busy to share a cup of tea.



1 comment:

  1. I've had tea with you...overlooking the bay. It was lovely, but it's the memory and our friendship that I cherish most!

    ReplyDelete